Updating SEOWP To Version 2.0 And Above
The SEOWP theme update to version 2.0 includes premium plugin updates, new premium plugins, as well as major changes to the website's menu structure and other changes. The new 2.0 version has hundreds of code lines changed. In this short article, we will guide you through some important info on these updates.
**IMPORTANT NOTE - READ THIS FIRST***
UNFORTUNATELY, THE CLASSIC VERSION OF THE SEOWP THEME CANNOT BE UPDATED BEYOND VERSION 1.9.8. WE TRIED TO ALLOW THIS TO HAPPEN WHEN WE LAUNCHED THE NEW FRESH VERSION OF SEOWP, BUT IT WAS NOT POSSIBLE. IF YOU ARE USING THE CLASSIC VERSION OF SEOWP, THE HIGHEST VERSION OF THE THEME YOU CAN UPDATE TO WITHOUT ISSUES IS 1.9.8. BEYOND THAT, YOU WILL HAVE TO INSTALL THE NEW FRESH VERSION OF SEOWP FROM SCRATCH AND MANUALLY MIGRATE YOUR CONTENT. SEE BELOW FOR FURTHER INSTRUCTIONS.
Before starting, remember these four simple and short recommendations:
- Create a full site backup before your start (database and all the files). It's crucial this time.
- Our support team is ready to help if something goes wrong (the support team work Monday to Friday only).
- Go to WP Admin > Plugins and disable all the third-party plugins.
- Try to schedule backup on the day and time when you have not so many visitors. It will take you 10-30 minutes to complete the update, but there is a risk of a delay if some of the plugins fail to update properly.
Please, make yourself a cup of coffee and follow the next instructions.
Steps to follow: UPDATING CLASSIC TO 1.9.8 (STAYING WITH CLASSIC VERSION) **for updating to new Fresh 2.0 version, scroll down**
Please don't forget to create a backup first!
Go to WP Admin > Appearance > Themes and activate a default WordPress theme.
- Click on the SEOWP theme thumbnail and then on the "Delete" button.
- Upload and activate the 1.9.8 theme version (found in your theme files that you downloaded from Themeforest)
- Click on the "Update now" button.
- This action will lead to the theme installation config panel. Please follow each step! Yay, you did it! You completed the most stupid and complex theme update ever. Sorry to make you struggle. You deserve a second cup of coffee!
Possible error messages
If you follow the steps described above you should have no issues, but we will not get angry if you ask our support heroes for help.
Check if your website looks properly after update;
- Check the site header and menu;
- Check the footer;
- Check pages with custom footers (if used);
- Check all the widgets;
- Check your system templates;
Check all the contact forms;
- Check the layout of the forms (columns);
- Check PayPal payments functionality (if used);
- Check MailChimp Opt-In functionality (if used);
Steps to follow: UPDATING TO 2.0+ (CHANGING TO FRESH NEW VERSION)
- You CANNOT install the Fresh version of SEOWP on the same WordPress install that you had the old Classic one installed on. IT WILL NOT WORK WELL.
- You will need to create a NEW WordPress install and install the Fresh 2.0+ version of SEOWP there. Then, open up your old site (and the new one) in separate tabs and manually migrate your site content over to the new Fresh site. Once done, update your DNS and your site URL to use the new Fresh version site as your site.
- You're done!
Special note for the HostGator hosting clients
HostGator hosting company by default block all the outgoing connections on the client's websites. Because of this restriction, our theme can’t download all the images from the demo website. Before installing our theme, please contact HostGator support directly with a request to whitelist the Mod_Sec rule 1234234. After that, the theme installer and demo content importer will be fully functional on your website.